132 Pins 1y
The Quincy Dredges
After WWII it was found that the stamp sand still contained a great deal of copper which could be extracted at a profit by regrinding it. Because of this, in 1947 the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company built a suction dredge capable of vacuuming stamp sand off the lake bottom to a depth of 110 ft. The dredge was operated by the Quincy Mining Co. The first dredge ended up sinking in Torch Lake in 1956. Dredge No. 2, continued to mine Torch Lake for several more decades until it too sank in 1967.