Foyer Mirror

Collection by Furniture Redux

17 
Pins
 • 
41 
Followers

This one was picked up at the Goodwill store. This will be our new foyer mirror.

Furniture Redux
Finished.

Finished.

On the wall in it's permanent place in the foyer. This is a replacement for a mirror that Angie didn't like but put up with. The color is fairly close, if not exactly the same, to the curio cabinet that shares the same piece of wall.

On the wall in it's permanent place in the foyer. This is a replacement for a mirror that Angie didn't like but put up with. The color is fairly close, if not exactly the same, to the curio cabinet that shares the same piece of wall.

Here is the completed mirror all ready to hang on a wall. Since I reused the old glass there are some ghost images where the silvering has become damaged with age.

Here is the completed mirror all ready to hang on a wall. Since I reused the old glass there are some ghost images where the silvering has become damaged with age.

After the two coats of polyurethane cured I re-assembled the whole unit. I kept the old hardware to put right back on.

After the two coats of polyurethane cured I re-assembled the whole unit. I kept the old hardware to put right back on.

I use three different stains from Minwax; Red Chestnut 232 coats), Red Mahogany English Chestnut 233 and in that order. I'll try for a better lighted picture later to show the lovely red under tones. After this has dried I can apply a clear finish. Minwax, Foyer Mirror, Picture Light, Clear Finish, Well Lights, Light, Decorative Tray, Mirror

I use three different stains from Minwax; Red Chestnut 232 (2 coats), Red Mahogany 225, English Chestnut 233 and in that order. I'll try for a better lighted picture later to show the lovely red under tones. After this has dried I can apply a clear finish.

At this point I have applied three coats of two different stains.

At this point I have applied three coats of two different stains.

I've started to stain the frame. I am attempting to match an existing piece of furniture (a curio cabinet) that it will hang above. The tricky part here is that I am dealing with three different types of wood and all take the stain differently.

I've started to stain the frame. I am attempting to match an existing piece of furniture (a curio cabinet) that it will hang above. The tricky part here is that I am dealing with three different types of wood and all take the stain differently.

When I came back to this project I found that one of the side rails was slightly warped, I believe it was due to the cold dry winter air. As you can imagine, I was not happy. I managed to get the frame glued with minimal gaps that some wood filler took care of. It did call for more tedious sanding though.

When I came back to this project I found that one of the side rails was slightly warped, I believe it was due to the cold dry winter air. As you can imagine, I was not happy. I managed to get the frame glued with minimal gaps that some wood filler took care of. It did call for more tedious sanding though.

All cleaned up and ready for stain. Note: I took some time off away from this project due to cold weather and then decided to finish a few others before starting it again.

All cleaned up and ready for stain. Note: I took some time off away from this project due to cold weather and then decided to finish a few others before starting it again.

In the process of cleaning up the excess glue. I used the glue sparingly but some always makes it's way out of the sides. If I was going to paint instead of stain I wouldn't have to be so thorough. More fine sanding in my immediate future. Upon close inspection I noticed that this piece shifted slightly about 3/16" when I clamped it. Nothing can be done about that now.

In the process of cleaning up the excess glue. I used the glue sparingly but some always makes it's way out of the sides. If I was going to paint instead of stain I wouldn't have to be so thorough. More fine sanding in my immediate future. Upon close inspection I noticed that this piece shifted slightly about 3/16" when I clamped it. Nothing can be done about that now.

Attaching the scroll work to the face. After everything was sanded smooth I glued the scroll to the face and clamped it with a piece of for even pressure.

Attaching the scroll work to the face. After everything was sanded smooth I glued the scroll to the face and clamped it with a piece of 2x4 for even pressure.

The frame has been sanded smooth as glass and is ready for re-assembly. I made a test strip for stain colors on a scrap piece of pine because I have to match this mirror with another piece of furniture.

The frame has been sanded smooth as glass and is ready for re-assembly. I made a test strip for stain colors on a scrap piece of pine because I have to match this mirror with another piece of furniture.

Dis-assembly was easy as the glue is completely dried up and only 6 little brads held it together.

Dis-assembly was easy as the glue is completely dried up and only 6 little brads held it together.

Upon dis-assembly I came across this stamped on the back of the glass. Always nice to find history.

Upon dis-assembly I came across this stamped on the back of the glass. Always nice to find history.

I found an inexpensive deco piece at Michael's to add some interest. These are just stamped cut but clean up well.

I found an inexpensive deco piece at Michael's to add some interest. These are just stamped cut but clean up well.