Braniff DC-3 in the Love Field Hangar. Powered by Wright 9-cylinder R-1820 Cyclones, or 14-cylinder Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasps, the DC-3 was the brainchild of American's C. R. Smith and Donald Douglas. The two redesigned the DC-2 into the DC-3. It had 7 more seats, enough to rely on pax revenue instead of just airmail. Braniff ordered the DC-3 in 1939. Many were used in WWII during The Banana Run, running supplies to the Panama Canal.