Mission San Diego de Alcala was established in July 1769 by the Spanish friar Junipero Serra. It is the first of the 21 Franciscan Missions and also known as the Mother of all Missions. Pope Paul VI delegated it as a Minor Basilica in
This 1921 view of the Mission San Juan Capistrano complex documents the restoration work that was already well underway by that time. The perimeter garden wall (including the ornate entranceway) and adjacent outbuilding are 1917 additions.